Apr, 2016 - Current
- Rebuilt and re-architected internal web forms on legacy document management platform that allowed us to speed up development time by a factor of 3:1.
- Requirements gathering, tech stack selection, architecture, design, and coding for web application that will dynamically render forms with complicated form and business logic.
- Server build and management for Linux/Apache/IIS. Extensive use of VMs, Docker and Vagrant.
Full-stack web developer for audio-visual company contracted to Amazon. Building internal and customer-facing (meaning Amazon employees) web apps for data visualization, metrics, and support ticketing. I am the sole developer for this company so I architect, design, develop, and manage the entire stack utilizing the internal Amazon build and deployment tools and AWS.
- Designing and building custom CMS in Ruby on Rails utilizing Refinery. This will replace a python/Plone CMS. Allowing for improved maintainability, custom functionality, custom UI/UX, shared servers. Saving company server costs and development time. Customer-facing editing will be improved as well.
- See skills for list of technologies used on a daily basis.
May, 2015 - Aug, 2015
Fast iteration and focused learning while absorbing new technologies and developing useful projects. Completed the challenge of learning 4 full stacks of web development in 3 months.
- - E-commerce platform built on AngularJS and Django.
- - User Dashboard (think Facebook) built on MEAN stack with socket.io.
- - Data Bagel data visualizations utilizing web APIs, MEAN stack, D3.js and Chart.
- - Multiple smaller capstone projects built on LAMP stack, MEAN stack, Django, and Ruby on Rails
- Built complete web app, front to back, from scratch, in under 4 hours in both MEAN stack and LAMP stack.
- Built pixel-perfect web page from UI mock-up in under 2 hours.
Mar, 2014 - May, 2015
Took time off to teach for America!
- Special education teacher in Phoenix, AZ. A full 80% of students achieved 2 full years of academic growth over the course of one year as evidenced by NWEA test scores.
Aug, 2010 - Apr, 2014
- Winner of two separate Microsoft hackathons.
May, 2012 - Sep, 2012
Project manager for large-scale HIS implementations. Primary client was large teaching hospital in Walnut Creek, CA.
- Introduced and implemented Agile methodologies for rapid iteration during build out, decreasing man hour requirements by 10%.
- Managed Radiant and Cardiant team on 500M+ implementation.
- Data scrubbing and validation for greater than 40K records for large hospital in Maine.
- Provided go-live support for three events.
- Preparation and delivery of executive-level preparations for clinical readiness and validation sessions.
- Scored greater than 95% on both Radiant and Cardiant certifications.
Feb, 2012 - May, 2012
Contract position brought in to implement Agile project management methodologies and jump start stalled IT projects.
- Analyzed and optimized global dial plan and DID numbers for domestic and international offices. Created telecom savings estimated at $10000/month.
- New Telecommuter IT Project: Executed gap analysis of current to future state; created and developed wireframe, web-site mockups, interactive presentations, and customer-facing documentation to lead new telecommuters through signup process. Required multifunctional and distributed team coordination.
- Corporate Acquisitions: Analyzed current state workflow for telecommunications and developed future state workflows utilizing Visio and event-process chain methodology.
- Guest Wireless Access Project: Implemented Kanban board and agile methodology for guest wireless access implementation project. Provided initial project planning, task assessment and assignment.
Jan, 1998 - Apr, 2008
Owner and consultant providing project management and document management services for large architecture, construction, and logistics projects. Certified construction contract administrator.
- Managed documentation coordination for large mining project (Pebble Mine) with over 20,000 documents at inception. Moved files from hard copy to Sharepoint site.
- Project planning and logistics for mining deployment contract with budget in excess of $10 million.
- On call 24/7 for critical incident response. Responded to minor oil spill site and managed man camp and response.
- Project manager for architectural contracts for project budgets from $80,000 to in excess of $50 million.
- Ghostwriter for published book on heart disease in women for a cardiologist at UCLA. Ghostwriter for several consumer-oriented business books for a human resources consultant. Wrote numerous medical and scientific research projects/papers for clients.
University of Alaska, Anchorage
Aug, 1987 - May, 1993
Mar, 1999 - 2008
- Servers: Apache, Node, NGINX, proxies and full servers hosted on AWS with VIPs and auto-scaling groups.
- Back stack: Ruby, Node, Python, Django, Rails, Postgres, DynamoDB, mySQL, Redshift, Oracle. Data normalization, building databases, syncing data sources.
- Middle stack: REST APIs with JSON, XML, CSV, SQL.
- Test-driven development: rSpec, Cucumber, Karma.
- CLI: Lots of time here. Curl, telnet, ssh, bash, grep in both Ubuntu and RHEL (VM).
- Build and Deploy: Utilize Amazon's internal tools. Each app/site has multiple environments. Utilize git extensively.
- MVCs: Rails, Angular, Code Igniter, Django.
- Docker, Vagrant.