Title: Service Designer, Humanitarian Services Digital Product Management
Location: Washington, DC, United States
The American Red Cross is seeking a Service Designer, Humanitarian Services Digital Product Management.
The position is Work from Home from anywhere in the continental U.S.
For those candidates located in Colorado and Connecticut, the salary range for this position is: $100,400 to $110,000
The Humanitarian Services Product Management team aspires to create human-centered digital experiences for our workforce and clients and to ensure our digital products support successful mission delivery. As a Service Designer, you will apply design thinking approaches and collaborate with cross functional teams to facilitate discovery of problems and opportunities in both digital experiences and business processes as well as co-create solutions to improve the experience, adoption, and mission success of our digital product portfolio. Our products support our humanitarian mission in a growing number of ways including delivering financial assistance to those impacted by disasters, visualizing situational awareness for disaster response and logistics operations, and onboarding and assignment of new volunteers to critical mission roles.
Typical activities include using design thinking methods (e.g., ideation, journey mapping, service blueprinting, prototyping, testing, and feedback) as well as business analysis methods (e.g., business capability and process mapping) throughout the product design and delivery lifecycle and with a wide range of audiences, from senior leadership to front-line implementers. You’ll work closely with product engineering colleagues on user story development and solution design. You’ll bring a holistic view by researching externally for design inspiration and best practices while incorporating internal constraints such as business and technology policy, compliance, and standards to reduce risk.
- Collaborating with technology, product, and business teams to uncover customer and business needs and translating them into intuitive and engaging digital experience designs that lead to desired mission outcomes.
- Facilitating discovery sprints and workshops to support early-stage product definition by uncovering customer pain points and opportunities.
- Facilitating collaboration and communication between technology and business stakeholders through discovery, design, and product development sprints.
- Adapting industry best practices and creating new service design and business analysis tools, methods, and standards. Promote adoption across cross-functional teams.
- Learn and understand business processes and how new applications or current system enhancements can best ensure the success of business users. Investigate complex operations-related problems/inquiries and recommend, facilitate and coordinate solutions. Evaluate new IT developments, applications and evolving business/systems requirements. Document, analyze, and clarify business requirements and translate into technology artifacts from which technology solutions are developed ensuring adherence to system architecture and software compliance standards. Define new and enhanced business processes.
- Creating effective visual storytelling artifacts of business and technology concepts to promote decision-making and product design.
- Partner with clients to develop a strategic plan to implement their technology vision. Audit existing and blueprint new digital experiences, identifying opportunities and solutions for improvement and experimentation.
- Creating process and user flows, journey maps and interaction models, and service blueprints, resulting in low to high fidelity prototypes, artifacts, and tools.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field required or equivalent experience.
Experience: Minimum 7 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience required. At least 2 years of experience in service and/or product design, design strategy, human-centered design, and at least 2 years of design thinking tools and methods.
Skills & Abilities: Proficiency with techniques related to agile development projects, design sprints, design workshop facilitation, service design, business process redesign, user story development, requirements analysis and client relationship management. Ability to apply knowledge of systems life cycle, systems integration and data management principles. Business acumen with ability to align IT priorities with business objectives. Clear and effective writing and documenting skills. Ability to work on a team. Proficiency with business assessment/modeling and requirements tools (e.g., Mural, Miro, LucidChart, Figma, Jira, Confluence, etc.).
Travel: Travel may be required. This is a 100% remote virtual position. Once pandemic-related travel restrictions are lifted, periodic travel will be required for design workshops and direct client and workforce user experience research.
Ace Your Application.