Senior Developer|Nov, 2016 – Current
At Checkfront I've helped launch and maintain Site Builder (A new real-time tool for building a dynamic, theme-able website for Checkfront users' inventory), designed and contributed to the company's newest API, and now moved on to lead the development of a new product.
- Reduced customer sites' TTFB and loading times by around 75% and 30% respectively
- Reduced customer on-boarding times by an average of ~85%, preventing timeout issues on large accounts
- Reduced image optimization and storage times on Site Builder such that users could upload large images in about 25% of the previous time
- Built extensive test suites for the Site Builder backend, allowing for more confidence and safety when touching critical code
- Built a CLI tool to ease and standardize work for the team when building, testing, and deploying Site Builder themes
- Designed a powerful Rich Text Editor on top of the Draft.js framework (One of the most-loved features in the product)
Senior Web Developer|Dec, 2014 – Nov, 2016
I helped the team find ways to refactor a 7 year old legacy PHP application into a more modern, easy to manage, performant code base. I also played an important role in hiring and mentoring new team members as well as establishing protocols and best practices for the team before I left.
- Migrated a sprawling legacy app into Symfony 2, making the code testable, more stable, and easy to maintain
- Made it possible to swap out search providers to avoid downtime and vendor tie-in
- Introduced extensive front to back test suites to a previously test-free app
- Rebuilt complex SQL schemas to allow for faster, smaller, optimized queries
- Helped with testing, interviewing, and on-boarding new hires
- Established best practices and protocols for new development
- Worked remotely for 2 years
Web Developer|Mar, 2012 – Aug, 2014
I built a large CMS to manage all data on a software monetization network called Air Installer. The CMS aspect was a simple CRUD, but inside of the system was a set of sophisticated and powerful components for advanced content management and network reporting.
- Built an efficient and powerful custom reporting API on top of PostgresQL, enabling quick and easy insights for internal users and customers.
- Built a robust custom reporting interface which handled huge reports in the browser. It was fast, attractive, and easy to use.
- Built dynamic reporting widgets for the customer and administrative dashboards with the custom reporting API, allowing custom reports in various graph, digital, and table formats.
- Built a reliable caching layer with Redis to upsert statistics in the background to enable fast access to common reports (especially for widgets)
- Continuously optimized the performance of reporting
- Created front end components for easily managing complex data relationships and business logic (saving coworkers several hours per day)
- Functioned as the product's manager for most of my time on the project
Creative Designer/Developer|Mar, 2009 – Mar, 2012
I was responsible for designing creative materials initially, and eventually took on a developer role maintaining and building my team's PHP powered websites.
- Built an internal service to generate dynamic landing pages. This made it so designers no longer needed to bootstrap projects - the framework handled it all for them.
- Designed creative materials for advertising campaigns
- Maintained existing PHP sites and a legacy application