Apr, 2015 - Current
I help my clients focus on what their customers need and want so we can work together to develop content that's useful, clear and human.
- Improve the experience people have when they're checking out or paying, signing up, setting up a profile, and encountering error messages
- Make legal and technical content easier to understand
- Work on content strategy at the intersection of digital and physical products
Apr, 2011 - Apr, 2015
As one of the first members of the Facebook content strategy team, I helped establish and grow the team into the powerhouse it is today.
- Planned, wrote, edited, tested and tended to content including: UI copy, product education pages, product names, navigation items and nomenclature
- Planned, edited and wrote for the Facebook design blog and managed the Twitter account
- Developed content and communications strategies for projects from conceptual stage through to optimizing and iterating after launch
- Helped develop content standards and evolved Facebook’s voice
- Collaborated with designers, researchers, product managers, internationalization teams and engineers
- Listed as an inventor on an approved US patent called "Methods and Systems for Optimizing Engagement With A Social Network"
- Managed a the business product content strategy team for part of this time
May, 2010 - Apr, 2011
While traveling around the world for a year, I co-founded Contentini, a boutique content strategy consultancy with an international roster of clients.
- Worked with clients to evolve their brand through their use of language
- Cared for and polished existing content by doing audits, workshops with clients, SEO and rewrites
- Specialized in content for interfaces - the "how" language
- Conceptualized and then managed products from start to finish
- Contributed to the development of the content strategy practice by publishing regularly on contentini.com
- Clients included Blinknow (Nepal), The Powerhouse Museum (Australia) and Exuberance Beauty (Canada)
Nov, 2008 - May, 2010
As the first marketing person at Box UK, I helped establish the company's brand and developed foundational ways of approaching content and branding.
- Planned and managed the development of two new company websites and an online community for clients
- Consulted on the interface content and user experience of the Amaxus Content Management System
- Developed and implemented short and long term marketing strategies
- Wrote and distributed press releases and pitched stories to relevant media and developed the company's social media presence
- Established and managed the company brand
- Worked with a great range of clients including the National Gallery, the BBC, the Royal Navy and Eidos (Tombraider.com)
Jun, 2006 - Oct, 2008
I was the sole communications professional at this large regional museum and wore many hats. I single-handedly undertook all communications and PR work for two nationally acclaimed exhibitions: Andy Warhol and Impressionist Masterworks.
- Planned and implemented all communications and public relations material
- Developed online and offline content and promotional strategies for major exhibitions, community and school programs, and special events
- Managed a major overhaul of the brand and website
- Created and implemented a visual and content style guide
Sep, 2001 - Jun, 2006
Developed all online and offline marketing and communications material including Annual Reports, stakeholder communications, website, social media presence and arts advocacy campaigns
University of Northern British Columbia
The University of Regina - Luther College Campus
Developed a Medium publication that features tactical advice for people who weren’t hired to write product content but find themselves doing it anyway.
Aug, 2009 - Apr, 2010
Co-chaired and coordinated the first two Ignite events to happen in London, UK, which both sold-out in minutes. My responsibilities includes establishing the Ignite London website and social media accounts, planning and promoting the events and wrangling speakers ranging from Ben Hammersley of Wired Magazine to Cory Doctorow of Boing Boing and Russell Davies of the Interesting Conference.
- Content strategy & analysis
- UX and interaction content
- Writing & editing
- Developing voice and tone style guides
- Simplifying the complex
- Building a highly effective team