About The Role
Buffer is a product-led growth (PLG) company. PLG is a growth model that focuses on the product itself as the primary driver of acquisition, retention and expansion.
PLG companies like Buffer often offer a freemium plan, a free trial or some combination of the two. At Buffer, we offer a generous free plan with upgrade ladders, as well as a fully-featured trial.
As the Growth PM you’ll own Buffer’s freemium experience. More than 100,000 people use our free plan each month. These are your people! You’ll shape the customer journey from free sign-up to paying customer. To do this, you’ll become our resident expert on the free plan, the free experience and the funnels and upgrade paths that lead somebody from free to paid. We strive to offer a generous free plan, while ensuring that our freemium strategy is working for our business.
You will be responsible for ensuring that our users have the best opportunities to upgrade if and when they’d benefit from our paid plans. This includes ensuring the reliability of our upgrade paths, presentation of paid plans, and optimizing CTAs and paywalls that drive consistent improvements to our free and trial conversion rates across Buffer.
This role has a heavy data-driven component as we seek to optimize our free offering for both our customers and our business, so an understanding of SQL is ideal and data analysis chops are a must, along with an extremely curious nature.
You’ll work closely with cross-functional teams at Buffer to align our free experience with our strategic vision, define success criteria, and develop clear plans and milestones for product delivery. Day to day, you’ll work hands on and collaborate with your product team to execute on the roadmap and regularly deliver value to our customers.
Buffer is a data-driven organization with data-insights distributed to all members of the product development and go-to-market process. You will be responsible for instrumentation, accuracy of data and dashboard reporting of Buffer users’ engagement with in-app value discovery and purchase experience. Navigating data integrity, reliability and performant query structure should be second-nature for you.
Who You'll Work With
In this role you’ll report to the Director of Product. Day to day you’ll lead a Buffer EPD team (Engineering, Product and Design pod), which means you will be supported by a Product Designer, Engineering Manager, and two or three Engineers.
Where you’ll be focused on in-app activation and conversion, you’ll also work closely with our marketing growth team and data scientists, who are focused primarily on top-of-funnel and acquisition. You will collaborate your roadmaps with our Director of Growth Marketing to ensure cohesion of all growth efforts across Buffer.
As a member of a product management organization you will help shape Buffer’s overall product strategy, end-to-end user experience and growth efforts.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Optimize how freemium works for our business by optimizing revenue from our free plan while adhering to our values of generosity and transparency
- Own Buffer Free plan end to end
- Own all in-product upgrade and payment paths
- Understand and instrument all CTAs and upgrade journeys
- Drive data analysis to understand upgrade path performance
- Design and implement experiments to improve the rate of both trial and free-to-paid conversions
- Understand why users upgrade (or not)
- Collaborate with design to create experiments, improve UX around upgrade paths
- Work with your team’s engineers to implement experiments
- Ensure the overall integrity of our telemetry (event tracking & analysis tooling)
- Work with other PMs to implement experiments and changes across products
- Coordinate launch and go-to-market planning in partnership with product marketing
- Collaborate closely with product, design, engineering, data, and marketing to drive the ideation, research, design, and development of customer-focused features and improvements
- Keep your team focused and excited to solve customer problems by connecting the work they do to our customer’s success and our larger mission
- Build alignment across product teams, our leadership team, and other stakeholders
Helpful Skills and Experience
- 0+ years of product management (that’s not a typo, we’re happy to teach you the “product stuff”!)
- Very strong data analysis skills
- Understanding of key SaaS metrics including MRR, Churn, LTV, ARPU, and how these metrics impact one another
- A deep sense of curiosity
- An understanding of what makes a product high quality, with an extremely sharp eye for detail and intuitive user experiences
- Strong customer focus and empathy
- Your friends would describe you as rigorous and highly organized
- Strong understanding of the product-led growth model and how freemium works within that
- Experience working with a global team of product managers, designers, engineers
- Adept at pairing data with product intuition to always keep product decisions moving forward
- Clear and concise written skills with an ability to distill and communicate complex topics
- Bias towards action with an ability to drive results near term as well as the ability to zoom out and connect the day to day work to our large mission
- Product management experience
- Experience using SQL for data analysis
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you're excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is: $103,500 - $170,500 USD.
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like! We believe in folks working where they are happiest and most productive.
💪🏽 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $500 to set up your home office.
🕶 Growth mindset fund: Extra money for learning and development.️
⛺️ Time to recharge: At least 3 weeks/year of minimum vacation and we're currently working a 4-day workweek.
🤑 401(k): With 3% company match.
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits. We distribute 8-15% of profits annually to the team.
🍼 Family leave: 16 weeks of family leave for all parents, fully paid.
✈️ Retreats: When we can, we meet in person for company get-togethers. ️
☕️ Working smarter stipend: Get some extra cash for a co-working space or coffee shop work.
📚 Free books and Kindle: Get a free Kindle and all the free books - digital, physical, and audio - you like, anytime.
⛱ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
Here's our hiring process
Step 1:Submit your application. We would love to hear from you and learn how you align your values!
Step 2:Take Home Assessment. We try to keep these short and effective to be mindful of your time.
Step 3:Technical and role fit chat with the hiring manger for this role.
Step 4:Chat with our CPO.
Step 5:Final Chat with our CEO.
Our Hiring Timeline
Thank you for your interest in Buffer and the Growth PM role! Our overall hiring process takes about 4-8 weeks, from the time you are contacted for the first interview. If you feel like this role is calling out to you, we'd love to learn more about you. We're always open to continuing the conversation.