Mar, 2016 - Current
- Built a 3D map platform on Kubernetes that currently serves 50 million daily tile requests
- Managed AWS infrastructure landscape, including cost control
- Worked closely with the GIS team to build and improve mapping services
- Built infrastructure for identifying and alerting on issues and bottlenecks in the system
- Architected and built various key services such as the live data service that collects, collates & presents ski lift and piste status for resorts across the globe.
- Helped build a devops culture with technology, process and mentoring
Jul, 2018 - Apr, 2019
- Managed 15 across 3 teams engineers in Berlin, Lithuania and remote
- Worked closely with the CEO, COO and Head of Product to align engineering resources with company goals.
- Hired several key engineers.
- Improved engineering practices.
- Bi-weekly 1-to-1s with all engineers.
Nov, 2015 - Feb, 2016
Worked on a 3 month project for the completion and maintenance of the So.Energy customer facing application post-launch. The project consisted of a Rails back end that integrated with multiple 3rd party API's, with a Backbone front end. On completion of the contract the application was fully featured and reliable.
Jul, 2014 - Mar, 2015
Worked on the back end server for the Little Big Planet Franchise working on the Ruby/C++ application that includes a custom in-memory Key/Value DB and high performance scoreboard functionality. This was my second contract at SCEE and my work consisted of modifying the existing code base to support an upcoming version of the game title, Little Big Planet 3. This role presented many unique (yet fun) challenges due to the interesting nature of the application and the challenges of a high volume, highly available app.
Nov, 2013 - Jun, 2014
Sole developer tasked to take the product from conception to MVP. This was a challenging project with tight deadlines, however the launch was a success and continued development was handed over to an offshore team. In October 2015 I worked with Cahootsy again to provide assistance to the offshore development team with improvements to the internal search engine based upon SOLR.
Mar, 2012 - Sep, 2013
Implementing a restful API that connected data from an online game server to a customer facing website. This was a long project with many complexities due to the custom nature of the backend framework and the high volume of traffic that both the game server and API receive.
Feb, 2007 - Jun, 2010
- Built out the first versions of the B2C and B2B offerings
- Contributed to Ruby on Rails core
- Built price scraping services
Feb, 2003 - Feb, 2006
Worked on maintaining the legacy C++ Windows applications and a following rewrite to modern .NET applications.
Kubernetes Explained series
Mar, 2019 - Current
A lockdown project that attempts to explain how Kubernetes works at a technical level by writing simplistic versions of the various Kubernetes components e.g. etcd and running these in local or cloud-based virtual machines.
- Kubernetes Operators
- Technical documentation
- Software Architecture
- Building and running engineering teams
- Engineering team process
- Agile process