May, 2016 - Current
Unibuddy changes the way universities attract, inform and recruit students by placing peer interactions and instant messaging at the core of its solutions. By embedding our tools into their websites, universities allow prospective applicants to chat with their student ambassadors and join group discussions in a matter of seconds.
- Modelled the database, designed the architecture and developed the feature-rich, original marketplace of the Unibuddy platform complete with online chat, notifications, payments, freemium subscriptions, analytics, etc.
- Architected the company's first full continuous deployment system on CircleCI. Wrote a blog tutorial describing how it was developed which was officially tweeted and shared by the CircleCI team.
- Developed the strategy and managed the development team to execute replacing Meteor data pub/subs with Apollo/GraphQL
- Lead and enforced strict architectural design pattern thinking and standards
Mar, 2015 - May, 2016
Designed and implemented a sports video analysis web application with AngularJS, Node.js (with Express framework) and MongoDB technologies.
- Successfully designed and implemented a video compression algorithm to convert and compress user uploaded videos to browser compatible standards (H.264 codec) at optimal resolution.
- Result: Working alpha software for Matchflow Ltd, prototype compression algorithm open-sourced (https://github.com/kimeshan/mf-proto), forked nearly 20 times with 80+ stars.
May, 2013 - May, 2016
3000 active users per month. http://studentview.co.za
- Developed the platform in two weeks, enables students to read and write reviews about universities in South Africa.
Feb, 2013 - Aug, 2015
Designed and programmed batch scripts software (.bat files) to automate file transfers of seismic acquistion data for seismic exploration projects in Trinidad, the Netherlands, Norway and United Arab Emirates. Coded Visual Basic macros in Excel. Certified Network Administrator and Site Security Officer (network security).
University College London
Sep, 2015 - Sep, 2016
University of Cape Town
Jan, 2009 - Dec, 2012
Honours and Dean's Merit List.
Nov, 2015 - Feb, 2016
Headed the development team of UCL's International Summer School mobile app. Stack: Ionic, Angular, Cordova, AWS Lambda, AWS API Gateway. Built for Android and iOS.
Aug, 2015 - Nov, 2015
Designed a bespoke meal recommendation engine. Built a fully functional peer to peer home dining cross-platform mobile application called GLEAT. Technologies: MeteorJS, Cordova, Ionic CSS. Published on Google Play/Apple iOS stores.
A JSON lexer and parser written in JFLEX and CUP. Built according to the official ECMA-404 The JSON Data Interchange Standard (see json.org). This JSON parser will accept an input, and then check if this input is a valid JSON object according to the official JSON specification at http://json.org. It consists of two files which contain all the logic involved in identifying tokens (Scanner.jflex) and checking that these tokens are structured in the correct JSON format (Parser.cup).
- Scripts currently used in production daily for Africa's largest job search website, running on AWS EC2 instance.
- Developed production ready Python scripts that pull data from Mixpanel (similar to Google Analytics) using the Mixpanel
API. Pulled data is then inserted into a PostgreSQL schema.
- Script setup to pull 100 000+ events daily and inserts more than 2 000 000 rows into PostgreSQL. Code optimized to complete in less than thirty minutes running on an AWS cloud server.
- Open sourced the core logic and tooling (https://github.com/kimeshan/mixpanel-puller), over 100+ stars and multiple forks.
- Software Architecture
- Software Engineering
- NoSQL Databases
- Design Patterns