Oct, 2018 - Current
I took a hiatus from full-time work to care for my son, but I've taken on a few interesting projects to stay fresh:
- Developed a 3D viewer and an instruction protocol for a robotics simulator using PyQt3D
- Refactored a trucking logistics system's Rails/SQL backend to improve performance
- Containerized a service-oriented application and integrated monitoring and a CI/CD pipeline to automate deployments
- Created a chatbot and application for automating appointments for property rentals. Included customizable lead verification, SMS reminders for the viewers, and a suite of tools for agents to manage listings and leads.
Sep, 2016 - Oct, 2018
At Checkfront I helped launch and maintain Site Builder (A real-time editor for building dynamic, theme-able websites for Checkfront users' inventory), designed and contributed to the company's latest API, and then moved on to lead the development of a new product. I also built or improved tooling and infrastructure to make developers' jobs easier with a focus on enabling ease of development, code quality, and collaboration.
- Reduced site TTFB and loading times by around 75% and 30% respectively
- Reduced customer on-boarding times by an average of ~85%, preventing timeout issues on large accounts
- Built a CLI tool to ease and standardize work for the team when building, testing, and deploying Site Builder themes
- Designed a Rich Text Editor on top of the Draft.js framework
- Created a standard micro-service architecture using Node.js, TypeScript, and Docker for reuse across new projects
Dec, 2014 - Nov, 2016
I helped the team find ways to refactor a 7 year old ad-hoc PHP/CoffeeScript application into a modern, easy to manage, performant code base. This involved a lot of SQL rebuilding and refactoring. I also played a key role in helping to hire and mentor new team members.
- Migrated two sprawling PHP apps to Symfony 2, making the code more stable and easier to test and maintain
- Made it possible to swap out search providers to reduce downtime and vendor lock-in
- Introduced extensive front to back test coverage
- Rebuilt complex SQL schemas to allow for faster, simpler queries
- Helped with testing, interviewing, and on-boarding new hires
Mar, 2012 - Aug, 2014
I built a large CMS to manage all data on a software monetization network called Air Installer. The CMS aspect was a simple CRUD, but inside of the system was a set of sophisticated and helpful components for efficient, scalable content management and network reporting. I built this full stack project from the ground up.
- Built an efficient and powerful custom reporting API on top of PostgreSQL, enabling quick and easy insights for internal users and customers.
- Built a robust custom reporting UI which handled huge reports in the browser. It was fast, attractive, and easy to use
- Continuously optimized the performance of large, complex reports
- Created tools for easily managing complex relationships and business logic, saving coworkers up to hours per day
- Functioned as the product's manager for most of my time at the company
- Worked with co-op students to develop new skills and complete projects
Mar, 2007 - Mar, 2012
- software architecture
- legacy refactoring
- remote working
- project management
- message brokers
- service oriented architecture