Full Stack Developer (Full-Time, Remote)
Are you a skilled developer looking to use your technical expertise in a small, collaborative team and a supportive environment?
Our close-knit team of eight helps hundreds of thousands of educators around the globe make classroom materials with a suite of well-established SaaS sites. These include: My Worksheet Maker, My Crossword Maker, and My Word Search. Now, we’re searching for an experienced, full stack developer to join our team and help create the next generation of tools for teachers.
In this full-time (40 hours/week), long-term position, you get the autonomy of remote work alongside the benefits of small company culture––all while making significant contributions to a business that helps people.
We’ve always been an all-remote company, and are committed to realizing the benefits of remote work. Aside from pre-scheduled meetings (typically held in the morning in EST/UTC-5), you can work from anywhere in the world on your own schedule.
We enjoy our work because we like helping teachers and get excited to solve difficult challenges with creative code. There are no orders from on high and no one’s looking over your shoulder. Because we’re small, everyone has a voice as we work together to iterate the best solutions for our users.
What You’ll Do:
- Build, test, and deploy inventive tools that let teachers create high-quality activities for students
- Keep code healthy. Maintain, debug, update, test, optimize.
- Take full ownership of projects and tasks––both giant and tiny
- Improve tools to solve customer problems and address feedback
- Communicate progress and track issues in Jira + Confluence
- Perform code reviews
- Participate in daily stand-ups, weekly 1-on-1’s, and biweekly retrospectives
What you’ll bring to the team:
- Demonstrated high-level expertise with our stack: VueJS (Advanced/Expert/Magician-level), Laravel (Advanced), Git (Basic), SASS/SCSS (Advanced/Expert), Webpack
- Excellent communication with technical and non-technical members of the team
- Proven track record of creating solutions that perform well and look great
- Readiness to work in a continuous delivery environment
- Reliable and consistent high-speed internet connection
- Respect for coworkers and customers without regard to gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, etc.
You’ll be a great fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy a team-oriented and collaborative work space (we make each other's work better)
- Have flexibility and a growth mindset: we’re all continuous learners here––our sprint retrospectives are the best
- Take a customer-first approach to design decisions
- Feel a rush when your code ships
- Thrive in a small team with open, positive communication
- Love the autonomy of working on your own schedule––we trust that you’ll meet your deadlines and leave you to it
- Enjoy a rapid development cycle and highly organized workflow
- Know when to incur technical debt and when to pay it off
- Already have proven remote work experience
- Laravel 8+
- Vuex stores
- PHP 7+
- Github Actions for CI/CD
- Git Flow
- Docker development environment
- Digital Ocean
- Cypress tests
Why join us?
There are lots of reasons to join our team. Here are some of them:
- Use your technical expertise to solve interesting problems and create unique, innovative tools.
- Be part of an honest, kind work environment with a supportive team
- Engage in work that actually helps people. Teachers are seriously underserved by tech companies and we’re on a mission to change that.
- Work remotely with a flexible (and reasonable) schedule that you control
- Competitive salary
- We’ve always been an all-remote company: remote workers aren’t second-class citizens
- Small company culture. Work with everyone directly. No weird bureaucracy to navigate.
- Your opinion matters; you’ll have a voice.
Our Hiring Process
We have a three-part hiring process that consists of a timed code exercise (1 hour) and two interviews. Because of the short timeline, we’ll take a deep dive on your application materials and will ask for examples of publicly available, previous work. Here are the hiring stages and anticipated timeline:
- Submit application - Deadline: July 24
- Timed coding activity (~1 hour) - Week of July 25
- Technical video interview (~75 minutes) - Early August
- Cultural video interview (~1 hour) - Early August
- Start date: Mid August
All finalists will be asked to provide two to three professional references that we can talk to, preferably former managers. Hiring is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check.
Ace Your Application.