Senior Software Engineer
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Software Engineer to join the Metrics Platform team to build various metrics capabilities on top of the Mediawiki Platform that powers Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wiktionary, and several other Wikis. As an engineer on this team, you will be responsible for ensuring that Mediawiki enables feature teams to add instrumentation and metrics that allow them to understand how their features are being used and how to make them better. You will also build A/B experimentation capabilities that will aid the Product department in choosing between different variants of features and make data-driven decisions.
You are responsible for:
- Gathering requirements from Product stakeholders
- Building metrics and instrumentation capabilities
- Building A/B experimentation capabilities
- Maintaining libraries in several languages that provide these capabilities
Skills and Experience:
- Fullstack web development experience with especially strong PHP backend experience
- A strong understanding of web technologies (HTTP, CDNs, caching)
Qualities that are important to us:
- The ability to work together with several other teams.
- The ability to work with a legacy codebase and reduce technical debt as you make progress.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- An understanding of statistical hypothesis testing.
- Experience with Kafka.
- Understanding or experience in working with data pipelines.
- Understanding or experience with optimizing the performance of websites at scale
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Ace Your Application.