Staff Full Stack Software Engineer - Growth Activation
Come join the world’s largest shared CI/CD platform, and help us drive the future success of our company! Our customers range from well-known household brands to small startups and everywhere in between, and we’re looking for engineers to help us excite more companies about our product.
We’re looking for an experienced engineer who brings strong technical skills as well as experience supporting Growth engineering, to lead the buildout of our Growth domain and -teams. In this role, you’d play a key role in driving the future success of our business, and work with your teammates and technical leadership every day to make our Growth engineering teams successful. You will drive technical strategy for the Growth domain and work with your team to implement and maintain it. You’ll mentor and coach your teammates and foster technical leadership on your team. You will instill a Growth mindset and culture of using data-driven decision making, small increments of work, and continuous learning and experimentation. Together with your team, you’ll learn new things every day, and iterate based on short feedback cycles and data which you’ll analyze to identify what works.
As the Growth team, our mission is to expose more users to the value they can get through using our product, and getting deeper into CI/CD with us. We dig deep into our users’ experience with CircleCI, and help them become more successful using our product. Focusing on our users’ onboarding experience, we hypothesize, build, analyze, and iterate together. We work hand in hand with our Product, Data, Design, Marketing, and Engineering teammates. Every day we challenge the status quo of our product in order to support our go-to-market teams and drive sustainable long-term growth for our entire company.
Our position in the engineering team is unique: we work throughout the entire CircleCI product – across marketing sites, onboarding, all the way to our core CI/CD workflows – to help empower our users to deliver better software faster.
What you’ll do:
- Mentor & coach: You will regularly collaborate with the other growth engineers to expand their skills and support their career growth.
- Develop strategy and follow through on implementation with your team: You will conceive growth enablement strategies for the team, as well as for other Growth engineering teams together with technical leaders in the Growth domain, and implement them to allow teams to iterate faster.
- Have business impact: You will conceive and execute experiments with the goal of learning more about how our users use our product, working with people across our entire company, always looking to increase your impact on our business.
- Foster a learning mindset and culture on your team: You will help the team embrace failure as a learning opportunity, are motivated by challenges, and celebrate the team successes.
- Learn! You’ll learn something new about our product and our users every single day: through user feedback, data, and your work with your teammates. You’ll develop a deep understanding of how people use our product, what makes them successful, and how we can evolve our product to engage more organizations. You’ll learn how to drive revenue through engineering measures, how to get more customers to use our products and increase their engagement with us – key lessons for anyone interested in starting their own business one day.
- Run experiments and iterate quickly: Hypothesize, plan, architect, implement, analyze, A/B test, and rapidly iterate on features.
- Work with a collaborative, fast-moving team: Collaborate with, lead, and mentor your engineering teammates through planning, pairing, testing, and delivery of the features you build.
- Take ownership of your work: As part of this role, you’ll participate in our team’s on-call rotation.
What we’re looking for:
We’re looking for someone who has a learning mindset, is curious and highly motivated to learn something new everyday. They should also like to have impact on high visibility work for their business, and be someone with an audience-driven communication style. If this sounds like you, here’s the additional experience we’re looking for:
- Technical skills: You are proficient in one or more of Go, C++, or Python, and are interested in using functional programming paradigms (we use Clojure, but it’s fine if you haven’t yet). You bring a basic understanding of frontend development (we use React, but it’s fine if you haven’t yet). You bring experience designing, building, and running distributed systems, and are focused on scalability. You have experience utilizing frameworks and tools that support quick experimentation, and experience improving those on Growth engineering teams. You consider technology a tool for solving users’ problems, and are interested in learning new technology when required. You can find our entire tech stack here.
- Enabling Growth engineers: You are deeply invested in helping teams become more effective and investing in creating more leverage for them. You care about good testing practices, observability, and creating long-term scalable systems that your teams can rely on.
- Growth engineering experience: You have experience as an entrepreneur, in a small startup, or on Growth engineering initiatives and teams.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills: You enjoy working closely with your teammates, brainstorming and developing ideas together, and would be excited to collaborate on technical strategy with fellow leaders on our Growth teams, as well as to shape interaction patterns between Growth- and other Engineering teams. You have strong feedback skills and communicate openly with your team and are open to being wrong and having your mind changed.
- A curious mind: You are motivated by your curiosity and deep desire to learn something new every day. You enjoy driving a culture of curiosity and discovery on our users’ experience with our product within your team, and helping your teammates make decisions based on data, paying attention to the big picture as well as small details.
- Desire to impact the future of our business: You like working on high exposure projects and tasks, and are keen to have impact in a crucial business domain, and taking a leadership role in a team that will play an important part in shaping the future of our company.
- Interest in moving fast: You’re experienced in the day-to-day practices of continuous delivery and agile development in a production environment. You favor regular, incremental delivery over perfection, and you seek optimizations that allow the team to quickly implement experiments, and are interested in driving a culture of quick experimentation, as well as implementation of the frameworks to allow for it, on your team.
- Adaptability: You’re comfortable with ambiguity and figuring things out as they evolve, change, and new requirements emerge. You’re good at managing the ambiguity of a small, rapidly-growing company: adjusting to changing priorities, making conscious tradeoffs when guidance is limited and information is incomplete, and instituting best practices from scratch when needed. You’re able to help more junior engineers work through ambiguous, complex tasks, and reduce ambiguity together with them to help them grow.
Work remotely with our globally distributed team!
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. Our Growth teams are distributed across North America. For this role, we are hiring engineers to work remotely in the United States and through our affiliate, Continuous Labs, in the following Canadian provinces: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan.
CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role will be for level E4 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectations for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Read our blog post about the competency matrix to learn more.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.