LOCATION: Remote within the U.S.
Civiqs is the leading online scientific polling platform and a division of Kos Media LLC. Civiqs has been conducting surveys online since 2014. Every day, Civiqs surveys thousands of people across the United States on politics, culture, and current affairs. With years of daily responses on a huge array of questions, Civiqs maintains one of the largest databases of public opinion in the United States. The scale and quality of Civiqs’ public opinion data, and its online survey panel, is unmatched in the survey industry.
We are hiring an experienced and results-driven Senior Software Development Engineer to join our talented remote engineering team. As Senior Software Development Engineer, you will ensure that the research platform is operating smoothly and accurately, and that new features are delivered on time and to specification. You will work alongside researchers and data scientists to help shape the Civiqs survey application as we expand our development team and build new research products and features.
We have an energized team of survey researchers with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. If you’re interested in a position that offers more than just a technical challenge, we’d like to hear from you. The ideal candidate for this position will love data as much as we do! You are an innovator, collaborator and have an innate dedication to excellence. You are self-motivated, efficient, and capable of delivering results with limited guidance. Come join our team and guide the future of public opinion research using the Civiqs panel!
- Design, architect, code, and maintain application solutions for Civiqs using industry best practices
- Maintain and optimize Python / PyMC modelling application, and data science pipeline
- Have a deep understanding of our frontend and backend systems, infrastructure, cloud services, and dev ops automation tools
- Clearly and precisely communicate technical issues and establish day to day priorities with other developers and non-technical stakeholders
- Mentor other developers on the team, through pairing and direct feedback
- Kick off and lead technical team decision making in collaboration with research and engineering management
- Quickly identify and address bugs, anticipate run time issues involving code changes that may affect extremely large data sets
- Write detailed automated test cases for new features
- Work collaboratively with the engineering team and lead complex releases often involving multiple systems and large data migrations
- Partner with research team members to ensure that documented requirements meet the team’s needs, and ensure that development priorities are aligned
- Remain current on test, development, and deployment best practices
- Experience with Python data science, PyMC, Pandas, Spark, etc. preferred
- Production experience with ReactJS would be a bonus
- 4+ years experience working on an Agile, Kanban, or similar collaborative environment
- Experience working with fully remote teams preferred.
- Experience maintaining and developing new features in large and complex codebases
- Working knowledge in systems or operations at OS and basic networking levels
- Ability to write, run, and optimize raw SQL queries in MySQL or PostgreSQL; knowledge of other data storage a plus
- Experience with containerized application development using Docker is preferred
- Experience measuring system performance and implementing security best practices
- Strong track record developing software using automated testing tools
- Awareness of typical programming errors and the unexpected things users do whether accidentally or maliciously
- Ability to analyze and debug distributed data processing systems
- Motivated, organized, and self-directed technical leader
- Critical thinker with thirst for knowledge and continuous improvement
- Ability to work autonomously, take ownership, and deliver a quality software experience
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable talking with team members at all levels
- Willingness to become a Civiqs platform expert
SALARY RANGE: $130,000 - $165,000
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to Civiqs’ Engineering Manager. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, remote worker stipend, a generous vacation package, traumatic grief leave, a professional development stipend, as well as employer-paid maternity/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Civiqs, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective in our work, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal-opportunity workplace. The atmosphere in our office is energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Ace Your Application.