Do you want to work for a mission-driven non-profit, creating data visualizations that will contribute to lifting millions of coffee farmers out of poverty? Enveritas is a 501(c)3 non-profit and Y Combinator-backed startup hiring for our new Data Visualization Team. You can learn more about the team at: https://www.enveritas.org/jobs/data-viz/
We’re looking for a technical project manager who has at least three years of experience working in software engineering environments to write product specs and manage project delivery for a small team of visual designers and frontend engineers. The Data Viz Team is a new team at Enveritas, supported by our Engineering and Data Teams of about a dozen people.
About Our Data Visualization Team
Our data visualization team creates interactive visualizations and dashboards to communicate our data. We design interfaces and write code to transform millions of raw data points into beautiful visualizations about the sustainability and environmental aspects of smallholder farmers. The Data Visualization Team also makes compelling static images for visually explaining what Enveritas does and what we’ve learned.
What You’ll Be Doing
Coordinate Data Viz Projects. You will guide the work of our visual designers and frontend engineers to ensure accurate, timely delivery of projects. You will take the lead in coordinating stakeholders, both internal and external, to make sure that data and design components are on spec and on track. You should be comfortable with basic data wrangling (e.g. pivot tables in spreadsheets) for simpler datasets, and you will work with our Data Team to prepare more complex datasets.
Who You Are
Our work is often ambiguous, so you should have a love for environments with uncertainty. Our work is to gather and show new data about the world, and figuring out the best way to do that isn’t always clear. Most of our data viz work is project-based, so you should be comfortable and experienced across the full cycle of project management, from spec to delivery. You should have a deep empathy for users of our work and understand the importance of good communication with other teams and outside stakeholders.
Our team is fully distributed, so you should be comfortable with remote work. This role is a full-time individual contributor role with hours based on Eastern Time Zone of the United States. Our core hours are 10am to 4pm Eastern Time Monday through Friday, with team members choosing either an early start or later stop as suits them.
We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications listed below:
- 3+ years of professional experience working in a software development environment.
- Basic understanding of software development and familiarity with web development and design/visualization work.
- Experience working with different methodologies (waterfall, kanban, hybrid) and knowing when to apply which.
- Experience with managing client relationships, either from freelance work or consulting.
- Highly organized, problem solver who is detail-oriented and enjoys resolving unanswered questions.
- Basic comfort with either UI/UX tools (Figma, Invision, etc.) or with data wrangling (reformatting data from various sources to create files useful for data visualization).
- An excitement for our mission of improving the lives of smallholder farmers and an interest in sustainability.
If you have questions about this role and want to ask us something before applying, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits & About Working With Us
- Base salary for this position is between $105,000 to $125,000 annually, commensurates with experience. This is a full-time exempt position. This salary range and the below benefits package is based on a US hire and will be adjusted if hired elsewhere.
- Full benefits include 401k with matching contributions, Medical/Dental/Vision, and Flexible Spending Account (FSA), as well as an annual education budget for conferences, books, and other professional development opportunities. Flexible work hours and generous vacation: 4 weeks vacation in addition to 12 standard holidays and personal/sick time.
- Enveritas has teams around the world -- we’re about 65 people spread between a dozen countries, of all backgrounds, faiths, and identities. Our Engineering and Data Teams are a diverse, quirky, and humble group of about a dozen, soon to be sixteen. See https://www.enveritas.org/jobs/data-viz/ to learn more about who you’d be working with.
- Field visits to our Country Ops teams in coffee-growing countries such as Costa Rica, Ethiopia, and Indonesia. (Note that due to COVID-19, travel is currently on pause.)
We care deeply about diversity. Our work is complex and nuanced, so the more diversity we have in the voices working on our problems, the larger of an impact our work can have for the world. Enveritas is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging an inclusive and diverse workforce. We embrace and celebrate the unique experiences, perspectives, and cultural backgrounds that each individual brings to the workplace. We are dedicated to hiring employees who reflect the communities we serve and strongly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Ace Your Application.