SummaryWe’re looking for a product designer with a background in interaction design, analytics, and data viz to work on the PostHog product. You’ll be supporting engineers on our app teams in our low-ego, minimal structure environment. You’ve never had a job like this before!
Working at PostHog as a Product Designer is unlike any working environment you’ve ever encountered. Though we’re a growing team, we still operate with the flexibility and nimbleness of a small startup. This means less structure, less planning, and a can-do attitude where nothing is impossible!
Interested in a traditional waterfall approach to development? Then this likely isn’t the role for you!
What's a "Design Rover"?
In Little League baseball (or softball), a “rover” is a player who doesn’t have a specific position - they have the flexibility to move around and help out wherever needed. That’s part of the role here.
While a traditional product designer sits on a team with a product manager, engineers, and other disciplines, this role goes far beyond that. You’ll have the ability to move around wherever needed - that could mean supporting engineers in a sprint, independently proposing UX improvements, and even helping other non-app teams with various needs.
We run two-week sprints, so your job may look different every couple weeks. You’ll have the opportunity to work on all different parts of the product. This includes analytics views, onboarding, session recording, data management, billing, subscriptions, our design system, and more things we haven’t thought up yet!
Representing the voice of the customer
In addition to supporting engineers in their sprints, there’s a large opportunity to advocate for UX improvements and general enhancements in our app. Because the surface area of our product is quite large, we have a need to better integrate the various pieces of the product.
You have the chance to talk with customers (and use your own hunches) to push for improvements in the overall product experience.
You don’t need to work on everything
Our design team is limited in size, but that’s okay! We don’t expect you to do everything. Many of our engineers are former founders, meaning they’re capable of seeing an idea through to completion on their own. Part of your job is to decipher where your time is best spent and which project(s) need your help the most.
We believe in an iterative approach, so we’d rather ship something early to a small number of friendly customers than spend six months polishing something that might not land. You should be okay with shipping an imperfect product in certain scenarios like this! (If the feature takes on, we’ll always come back to it.)
- You’re a design generalist, with a strong opinion about UX best practices
- You’re good at documenting and communicating interaction details, visual design specs, and other considerations that impact the user experience
- You can ship iteratively, inspired by group feedback and design group critique
- You are able to function independently and manage your workload proactively
- You have a history of designing and building experience for B2B SaaS apps
It’d be nice if you have…
- A background in analytics and data visualization
- Experience working on and contributing to a design system at scale
- Experience working with Figma
- Understanding of developing products that prioritize accessibility and inclusiveness for all users
- An opinion about if pineapple belongs on pizzaInterested in joining? We'd love to see your portfolio and hear why you'd be a great fit for this role.
Bonus points if you install PostHog on a side project and tell us what you'd tackle first!
- Generous, transparent compensation and employee-friendly equity in PostHog
- Unlimited time off with a 25 day minimum (in 2021 the team on average took 32 days off)
- Private medical insurance, including dental and vision (US and UK only)
- Pension/401k contributions (4% matching)
- Generous parental, bereavement and child loss leave
- Training budget and free books
- $200/month budget towards co-working or café working and $250/month for team socials
- Spill mental health chat
- $100/month budget to provide support to open-source projects
- We'll be your first investor
- Regular team off-sites (we went to Iceland in March) with carbon offsetting for work travel with Project Wren
We believe people from diverse backgrounds, with different identities and experiences, make our product and our company better. That’s why we dedicated a page in our handbook to diversity and inclusion. No matter your background, we'd love to hear from you!
Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you - we're happy to accommodate!
Ace Your Application.