Title: Software Engineer, Data Platform (Senior/Staff)
Location: United States – Remote
Heap’s mission is to power business decisions with the truth. We’re building infrastructure to automatically capture customer interactions on web and mobile applications, make sense of them, and make them actionable for anyone. We want to enable everyone to understand their millionth customer as well as they understood their first.
We’re looking for a proven “cloud-based” Senior Software Engineer to take the lead on some of the most challenging projects on our Data Platform team. As a member of the Data Platform team, you’ll be responsible for extending and scaling the core platform that runs all of Heap. You’ll improve bottlenecks in our event ingestion pipeline (Kafka / Scala) to help us scale to hundreds of billions of events every day, optimize and extend the distributed database engine that powers our analytical workloads (Postgres / Citus), and help build out a new data lake system for batch querying. You’ll help us break up monolithic services into smaller, more manageable chunks, and define clearer API boundaries and object schemas across Heap services.
We’re a distributed team that operates mostly in US West (PT) and Australian (EST) time zones. We’re open to hiring the right person anywhere within those time zones.
What we’re looking for
- A collaborative and intellectually curious approach to software development. You enjoy learning from and teaching others and aren’t afraid of asking lots of questions.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in writing. We’re a distributed team all over the world, so we pride ourselves on our ability to communicate complex ideas clearly in writing across the team.
- A track record of leading projects to success over many years (5-7+ years of experience), with deep experience in building data platforms at scale for both ad hoc analytical and batch processing workloads.
- Experience in building high-volume streaming event architectures (Kafka or similar).
- A strong understanding of cloud computing with 4+ years of working with AWS.
Under the hood, Heap is powered by Node.JS, TypeScript, Golang, Scala, Spark, Kafka, Redis, and PostgreSQL (using CitusDB). For more about our architecture, check out Optimizing Postgres Queries at Scale
People are what make Heap awesome. Regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics, we want everyone to feel welcome. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive equal opportunity workplace everyone can call home.
Heap has raised $205M in funding from NEA, Y Combinator, Menlo Ventures, SVAngel, Sam Altman, Garry Tan, Alexis Ohanian, Harj Taggar, Ram Shriram, and others. We offer plenty of awesome benefits, and we were named #1 on Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work (SMB). We’d love to hear from you!
Ace Your Application.