User Experience (UX) Designer
- United States: Full time
ioby seeks a UX Designer to join our small and growing national team. The UX Designer will become the third member of our Product team in our exciting transition to bringing product development in-house. Reporting to the Lead Engineer, the UX Designer will play a critical role in building products co-created with the communities we serve and grounded in learnings from our work responding to the many crises of 2020.
ioby’s ideal candidate will be committed to racial justice, empathetic design, and experienced in gathering inclusive user feedback and co-creating experiences and designs for and with marginalized communities. Our ideal candidate might have limited or no experience coding, but be thrilled by the opportunity to learn on the job and be mentored and coached by experienced engineers who recognize that you will be bringing critical assets to our growing team.
Responsibilities will include designing interfaces and wireframes (40%), conducting user research; writing user stories, personas, storyboards (25%), working collaboratively with teams outside of product (20%), as well as graphic design, creating style guides, and component libraries (15%).
Qualified candidates must have the following characteristics:
- Experience writing user stories, personas, storyboards
- 3 years experience creating prototypes and wireframes with Adobe Suite, Sketch, Figma or an equivalent tool
- Experience co-designing interfaces and experiences for and with marginalized groups, such as Black women, elders, and / or people who might be using older, possibly out-of-date devices
- Experience interpreting data and qualitative feedback
- Experience hosting inclusive focus groups with multi-racial groups
- Experience integrating feedback from users who have very limited experience using newer technologies
- Experience discerning when to use technology and when to build a non-technological solution
- Ability to translate organization goals and objectives into digital experiences
- 5+ years experience successfully communicating between technical and nontechnical teammates at high level and in detail
- Understands the value of UX design
- Understands the value of practicing inclusive and universal design
- Experience creating and maintaining a design system or component library
- Knowledge of responsive design
- Ability to collaborate with marketing and work with brand guidelines
- Experience working collaboratively with marketing & sales teams
- Experience in designing with user empathy, both internal and external
- Desire to work at an organization undergoing an anti-racism framework
- Enjoys working on a distributed team
- Enjoys the aesthetics and details of design
- Comfortable working in an environment with resource constraints
- Comfortable with change, strong in reprioritization
- Enjoys working at a smaller organization, with a highly collaborative culture of working across teams
- Desire to work in and contribute to a multiracial organization in the middle of a Racial Equity Framework process
Extraordinary candidates may have the following nice-to-have characteristics:
- Knowledge of (but not necessarily work experience with) HTML / CSS / JS
- Ability to describe how accessibility factors into UX process
- Experience writing feature tests for multiple browsers and devices
- Experience determining information architecture (IA) and creating sitemaps
- Copywriting experience
- Experience designing to a brand voice
- Experience working in an antiracist organization
- Experience designing a donation or e-commerce platform
- Experience thinking holistically and working collaboratively with marketing to make an accessible and desirable product
- Experience with systems design, creating service blueprints
ioby is a distributed team. This position can be based remotely anywhere in the United States. This job may require occasional work hours outside of ioby’s regular business hours (9am–6pm Eastern; Monday through Friday) and some occasional travel.
ioby is a tech-powered nonprofit, and is designed to be responsive to the communities we serve. As a result, we constantly evolve our program offerings and technology products to serve best, and we strive to move at a fast pace on balance with our resources and working in relationship with our community.
Our team is distributed across the country so we use a variety of online tools for project management and communication. You’ll be expected to bring new ideas and strategies and bring an attitude of continuous improvement to contribute to a strong and innovative culture. For the right candidate, this is an exciting opportunity to be part of a mission-driven, community-based organization that is contributing to a broad movement of resident-led neighborhood development.
- Sunday, May 2: Deadline to Apply
- Wednesday, May 5: Phone Screens
- Friday, May 7: Wireframes and Personas Due
- Monday, May 10 – Wednesday, May 12: First Round Interviews
- June 14th: Approximate Start Date (Juneteenth is a paid holiday, observed at ioby on Friday June 18 this year)
Ace Your Application.