At Podia, we’re building the most creator-friendly platform on the planet to help people sell online courses, memberships, webinars, and digital downloads to their audience.
One of the ways we’re doing that -- besides our awesome all-in-one platform -- is delivering the best content on the planet for creators, teaching everything they need to know about creating, marketing, selling, and thriving with their digital products.
The online business content world is a noisy one, overflowing with clickbait content promising quick riches for little work…as long as you buy today.
We do things differently.
Our content team:
- Protects online creators from shallow, predatory content 🛡
- Shows them what they’re actually capable of achieving 🏆
- Helps them do the work required to move forward, whether they’re building their first product or planning their 50th launch 📈
- Removes the obstacles standing in their way, and lead our creators to success 💰
Want to see our content in action? Check out our blog and our videos page.
We’re looking for an experienced Lead Content Marketer to help lead our content team — currently two writers and a video content marketer — in this quest.
Why this is a dream content marketing opportunity
Podia has been growing organically for the last five years, and we’ve put significant budget and bandwidth into content.
You’re not building from scratch; your strategies and campaigns will get in front of thousands of creators from day one, and you’ll be able to move fast.
At the same time, even though we’ve been around since 2014, Podia — and the creator economy — are very much just getting started, and you’ll have real flexibility and budget to create your own strategy that helps us get to the next level of scale.
You’ll be joining a team where content is far from an afterthought; it’s absolutely core to our brand. In fact, our marketing leaders come from content backgrounds; you’ll be reporting to Benyamin Elias, our Director of Growth Marketing who was previously a Director of Content Marketing at ActiveCampaign.
Our CMO, Len Markidan — who you’ll also work closely with — was the Head of Content Marketing at Groove before joining Podia.
You’ll also start with three world-class direct reports: Rachel Burns and Nicola Wynn are experienced writers, and Ben Toalson has grown our YouTube channel to more than 20,000 subscribers.
In short: we know how important exceptional content marketing is, and you won’t be pulling teeth to get leadership to take content seriously.
Oh and by the way, you won’t be limited by the usual blockers:
If you’ve ever been asked to do marketing for a product that isn’t very good, or is in a “nice to have” market, you know how hard it is to watch customers slip away for yet another month of flat growth.
At Podia, our NPS is in the 99th percentile for internet companies. Our customers love us, we’ve helped many of them become successful, and your hard work won’t go to waste.
The creator market is on fire right now. As more and more people join the creator economy, Podia is there to tap into the demand — with a platform that creators need to run their business. This is a must-have product in a high growth market, and our growth reflects that.
If you’ve been stuck marketing a “boring” (or worse) product, you know how hard it is to wake up and fake enthusiasm about what you’re selling.
Podia gets emails from creators every day. Every single day, there's a creator using Podia to earn their first dollar online. We have customers all over the world — people who are starting side hustles or starting business or quitting jobs because of the income they make from Podia.
If you’ve ever been frustrated by following the “playbook” or trying to hit …questionable… KPIs, you know how it feels to have your creativity limited.
We’re not interested in a cobbled-together playbook of “best practices” or arbitrary goals. Everything we do at Podia starts with the creator and continues to the business — we want to do what works, and that means looking past playbooks to find the real levers for growth.
In this role, you’ll work with the Director of Growth Marketing to write a new content playbook, and you’ll lead our amazing content team in running with it.
If you’ve had to share results with other departments (or get sucked into enablement, or deal with fire drills when other teams don’t hit their goals), you know what it’s like to do everything right and still feel like things went wrong.
Podia is 100% self-serve. There is no sales team. Marketing finds and converts the entire pipeline.
If you’re still excited after reading that, let’s get into the details.
Here’s what you’ll do
- Build and execute a content marketing strategy to help Podia grow — across our website, blog, and social channels, but also within our product and community. We see content as a way to help Podia grow by making our creators more successful.
- Understand how content can impact creators at every stage of their relationship with Podia.
- Manage end-to-end development of content across our content team, currently consisting of three people, in pursuit of our marketing team goals.
- Identify and capitalize on SEO opportunities. You should have a strong understanding of SEO, but you’ll also have access to our SEO advisor, who’s among the best in the business.
- Hold a high standard for excellence for all of our content.
- Write content for our portfolio of channels. This is a player-coach role where you’ll be both managing and creating content.
- Ensure that our content efforts are aligned with our broader company goals, and work closely with both your reports and the growth marketing team to push projects forward.
We’re looking for someone with:
- At least 5+ years of experience in content marketing, and at least 2 years of experience managing a content team.
- A broad perspective on content marketing. Content marketing includes blog posts and SEO, but you’re also interested in the big picture — how content (across mediums and channels) helps create growth for both Podia and our customers.
- A track record of producing the best content of its kind on the internet, and the portfolio to prove it.
- Proven ability to grow a content operation against measurable goals.
- Excitement about the role content plays in moving our business — and our customers — forward. I.e., you put as much emphasis on the “marketing” part as the “content” part.
- Editing chopz. You can make any piece of content, and any writer, better when you work with them.
- At least 4 hours overlap with US Eastern Time
We get hundreds of job applications for every open role. If you’d like some tips on how to stand out, read this thread by our CMO, Len Markidan.
It’d be REALLY great if you also:
- Have created and/or sold an online course, community, webinar, coaching service, or download
- Have worked with digital creators
- These are nice-to-haves, but not requirements. Don’t be discouraged if they don’t apply to you. If you’re confident you’re otherwise perfect for this role, please apply!
Here’s what you’ll get if you join Podia:
- Competitive compensation. We want to hire the best people, and we’re ready to pay for them. We use a standardized salary scale set at the 90th percentile of US salaries for each role—regardless of where you are in the world. 💰
- Ultimate flexibility. We try to have some overlap time every day, but outside of that, work whenever and wherever you work best. 🗺️
- Extreme autonomy. No micro-managing here. After onboarding, you’ll be given high-level direction and then left to solve it the way you feel is best. 📚
- That said, the rest of the team is always ready to lend a hand—or even an ear if you just need to bounce some ideas. 💡
- You’ll be working with a diverse team from a range of countries and backgrounds. We work hard to make Podia an inclusive workplace for everyone. 🌈
- We have a rapidly growing base of passionate customers. Your work will be seen and appreciated by many people. ❤️
- Great benefits including three weeks paid vacation (plus another week during the December holidays), sabbaticals every three years, professional development credit, paid family leave, a new laptop every three years, and more. ☺️
- (Paid for) annual retreats to spend time with the team and have fun together (or a still-pretty-great virtual retreat when there’s a global pandemic). ✈️
Sound like you? Want to be part of a smart, nimble, motivated team working hard to build something big?
We’ve been around since 2014, have the greatest customers in the world, and a team that will stop at nothing to help our creators win.
If that sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you 📣
About the hiring process:
Interested in joining our team? Great!
We’ll begin reviewing applications immediately and continue to review them for a minimum of two weeks or until the job posting is closed. There's no benefit to applying in the first five minutes, and we'd rather you take your time. We heavily weigh the answers to our application form rather than data from LinkedIn or resumes. We typically reduce the candidate pool down to a small handful who move on to a small test project.
The project phase is a paid article, run very much like an in-house piece of content at Podia. We’ll contact you to reserve a three-day slot in the upcoming week to complete your test article, and once that slot begins, we’ll send you your assignment.
After that, we’ll review the test projects, provide feedback in a single revision round for promising projects, and then based on the results of the revision round, select candidates to interview.
You’ll have four total interviews over Zoom, including:
- The CMO
- The Director of Growth Marketing (Hiring manager)
- The three members of the content team (roundtable)
- The CEO
The last interview will be with Spencer, our CEO, who can answer any questions you have about the broader goals and workings of the company.
After that, we'll decide on our final candidates and ask for professional references from both a previous co-worker and a manager. We'll reach out to those references to set up a brief 10 minute call or email.
Finally, all going well, we'll make a written offer to the successful candidate which can be signed electronically
We’re looking forward to chatting!