Currently leading the Engineering and QA department consisting of 14 people working across three teams on website, online insurance products, and API development.
Worked as a Software Development Manager on Elastic File System (EFS), AWS's massively scalable elastic network block storage solution. Lead an internal team of software and system engineers focused on operational excellence within the EFS group. Built tools and processes to maintain the highly available, highly durable storage system for a global customer-base.
- Lead an engineering and systems team of 5 people
- Built a team roadmap outlining a multi-year vision of deliverables aligned with organizational goals
- Lead organization-wide discussions around operational issues and tooling improvements
- Coordinated initiatives across teams at AWS and within EFS around security, compliance, and operational safety
- Worked closely with Product teams to measure and align operational goals with feature and product goals
As a manager in the product engineering side part of the organization, I worked closely with Product and Design peers to build features and engineer the next generation of the InVision platform. I supported the org's rapid growth by hiring new engineers and managers, and leveling up members of my team.
- Lead a distributed engineering team of 5 people
- Coached engineers individually, providing regular feedback and aligning individual skills and growth areas with company needs and trajectory
- Coordinated cross-team projects around security, operational readiness, and product features
- Worked closely with Product and Design to plan and timeline core features
- Developed the team’s proficiency in project management, operational excellence, and technical mastery
- Built new teams by hiring and onboarding engineers and other managers
- Facilitated architecture discussions, process improvements, planning, and other agile rituals
- Coordinated with leadership to define strategy and roadmap features and improvements
I worked on the digital content side of the NPR network, focusing on member stations and their content creation tools. In this position I coordinated with station support, product focused people, and others from NPR Digital to deliver tools and features that brought stations into the NPR network and gave them the ability to publish their own content and measure their audience engagement.
- Lead an engineering team of 9 people
- Maintained web content delivery products, analytics tools, and reporting systems used by NPR member stations (station CMS, NPR One, NPR News)
- Built release schedules and quality measures focused on delivering measurable value to station stakeholders
- Coordinated with other NPR engineering teams on many features that brought station users into the nationwide network
- Hired and onboarded engineers
- Worked closely with operations team on Ansible-based deployment for products in production and local environments
Managed the team of software developers and testers maintaining the namesake eCommerce platform and business partner platforms in the industry. Grew the team into 12 engineers through hiring, training opportunities, team building and skill development. Interfaced with product, agile, and customer care teams to ship new products, platform redesigns, and new partners.
Managed a team of data analysts and rolled out a business intelligence tool with smart reporting and analytics used to guide product decisions and understand sale trends. Trained members on SQL, scripting, and coordinated with vendors on rollouts and product training.
- Lead an engineering and QA team of 10 people
- Ran the team that maintained the flagship direct-to-consumer web application, white label partner web applications, and internal admin tools
- Hired and recruited engineers, QA engineers, and data scientists
- Implemented engineering best practices like code reviews, testing processes and quality standards, and documentation policies
- Lead team-building and skill building activities: book clubs, lunch and learns
- Facilitated strategic discussions, architecture planning and technical direction
- Worked closely with operations to develop an internal environment provisioning and deployment system for testing large features in isolated on-demand environments (like an internal AWS)
- Lead a team of data analysts and scientists
- Deployed a BI platform and lead technical direction to aid financial and analytics reporting
Software engineering on the flagship eCommerce platform as well as partner sites and products in the travel insurance industry, while still supporting a legacy platform. Worked closely as an architect on many new initiatives including the development of an early MVC framework, and a framework for defining insurance products and rules using a custom DSL and rule-running engine.
IT Consultant, Freelance
Various IT gigs in schools and educational settings centered around network administration, server maintenance, and web development.
Primarily responsible for the development, deployment, and training of data collection and reporting systems for K-12 environments. Built charting and data analysis tools for educators to assess student achievement, surface areas of intervention, and track longitudinal standards-based scores. Also worked as a consultant for school districts in ETL-related tasks for yearly submission of students' standards-based scores to the Department of Education.
Worked as a system administrator for the two main offices and three satellite offices (schools), maintaining network equipment, servers, and client deployments. Played an active role in two building projects for magnet schools, building and supporting the network infrastructure which included video distribution, wireless networks, and desktop/laptop deployment of 500+ clients. Built internal web-based tools for tracking issues and time-tracking for consulting work done in school districts.
- Certified Agile Scrum Master
2019 - Current
Building high performance, accessible, beautiful websites and web apps.
2018 - 2019
- Managed team of 9 full stack software engineers.
- Led development for the completion of new product initiatives.
- Ran all agile ceremonies including planning, backlog maintenance, sprint review, and daily standup.
2014 - 2018
- Lead maintainer for flagship e-commerce product which serves over 5 million users.
- Built frontend component library (Beatport UI) which currently powers 5 production applications.
- Architected and deployed Content Management System for internal and external parties.
2014 - 2014
- Created mobile optimized front-end applications for web and email.
- Work with strategic and creative teams to produce content that was both user-friendly and forward thinking to maximize campaign success.
- Collaborated with marketing managers to brainstorm impactful campaigns
- Creatively matched marketing goals with appropriate technical plans
2010 - 2014
Led a team of developers and worked alongside marketing managers to come up with and execute mobile optimized, device-driven marketing campaigns for some of the world’s best-known brands.
- Technical lead for a team of 10 developers
- Collaborated with marketing managers to brainstorm impactful campaigns
- Creatively matched marketing goals with appropriate technical plans
- Developed and maintained a proprietary web application for internal use
- Clients included: Samsung, Eddie Bauer, Royal Caribbean Cruises, DirecTV, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
Web Development & Graphic Design
- Adobe Creative Suite
Computer Programming & Database
Workflow & Productivity
- Test-Driven Development
- Continous Integration & Delivery
Marketing & Analytics
- Google Analytics
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud (ExactTarget)
Jan, 2019 - Current
Wentsy.com makes organizations a breeze, by matching up service providers with organizers.
- Recruited talent
- Built the architecture of the application
- Guided team members and together we developed the first version in 8 months
Feb, 2018 - Sep, 2018
Crossover is the biggest company in the world with %100 remote teams, working with dozens of companies around the world. I worked in the Optiva Telecom and Aurea Energy projects, as Java Chief Architect.
- Prepared education tutorials about Optiva Telecom's Java-based tech stack, to speed up the orientation of development teams
- Coded new features for Aurea Energy, using Java and Groovy
Nov, 2016 - Jan, 2018
During this period, I worked for Securitas Turkey as a software consultant. They had dozens of software systems developed by disparate teams and they had maintenance problems. We reshaped the teams around loosely coupled microservices and re-wrote several systems from scratch using Java techs. I also coded their Facebook like Employee Portal using .Net and AngularJS
- Moved the systems from monolithic applications to loose-coupled microservice modules
- Helped coding several microservices with Java, Spring and Netflix Microservices Stack
- Coded Employee Portal using .Net and Angular
Jun, 2015 - Oct, 2016
Kodstar is a web-based solution to learning to code (like codeschool, teamtreehouse, codeacademy, etc.). The product was technically quite complex. and required solving out-of-ordinary problems, like running code in the browser and evaluating code semantically and
It is built on all kinds of state-of-the-art techs from micro-services to the cloud. We completed the software, produced most of the education content, started beta tests, then we had to stop because of the political atmosphere in Turkey.
- Set and communicated a unified vision and culture
- Recruited talent and make sure the right people are in the right seats
- Helped architecting the product using Java, Play framework, Python, AngularJS
- Managed and contributed to coding, marketing, content production, customer building
- Seeked investment
Apr, 2011 - Jul, 2016
ÖSYM is one of the most critical corporations of Turkey that seriously affects the lives of millions. The company was inefficient with several decades-old techs. They often hit the headlines negatively.
I hired 20+ people including developers, testers, analysts, designers, and organized into teams. We developed more than a dozen projects and successfully shipped all of them. In 4 years, we replaced 6 old software, introduced 7 new ones.
- Hired and led 20+ people to the development of a dozen projects, using agile methods
- Solved unusual problems such as; automated publishing using latex, securing the questions with bank-level standards
- Fullstack development using Java, Spring, Hibernate, AngularJS
Started the company from scratch together with owners and built a "health care management system" for hospitals.
We finished this "crazy complex" product (which many other companies failed to finish) with huge success and deployed it to a public hospital in one year; within a fraction of expected cost and time.
- Recruited talent, set the culture, and led the development of Health Care Management System, using Agile methods
- Full-stack development using Java, Hibernate, Swing
Started up sahacini.com, an online reservation system for private soccer fields (1+ billion dollar market) and a social network for players. Although we didn't fail, I stopped because of a lack of co-founders and investment.
- Coded and started up sahacini.com
- Developed “TR-069 Configuration Server " for Turk Telekom, with which they can manage millions of customer devices, such as ADSL modems and IPTV STB’s
I was hired to help them start building a critical product.
- Helped jump-start NBC (nuclear biologic chemical) command and control center project.
- Coded most of the underlying infrastructure using Java and related frameworks
- Mentored the team about code quality, Java tech, and Agile methods
The corporation needed an ERP solution to manage its 1900+ associations. I co-led 14 people to the development of the product using Java, Hibernate, Spring, and JSF. We successfully finished the product and received high praise from the top management for improving the efficiency of the company. We were among the first to successfully enable agile in a big project in Turkey.
- Introduced ExtremeProgramming to the company, training/adopting developers about XP and practices
- Co-lead the team; solving team problems, helping developers, managing/planning iterations
- Co-developed an in-house framework
- Co-designed architecture of the system
- Developed peruse JSF/Facelets components
- Developed Fit/Fitnesse fixtures; both test and base fixtures
- Developed modules with team
I was a member of the architecture team within -billion-dollar- "Air Force Command and Control Information System" project. The software was being developed for the Turkish Air Force to help them manage war and peacetime. There were hundreds of people working on the project. I and another coworker developed an async database replication system, to effectively deliver time-critical data (such as real-time radar data) to requiring units across the country.
- Development of an Asynchronous Replication Manager for real-time distributed database requirements, using Java
This is the first company I joined after graduation as a member of VEDOP (Tax Administration System) for the ministry of finance, a project with hundreds of developers and hundreds of millions of dollars budget. It was a project with stellar success and I learned a lot during my time in this company. I realize now that I was given very critical responsibilities uncommon for a junior developer.
- Single handedly maintained the core of the project, 100K+ lines of C++ infrastructure code
- Developed several business modules using C++
2019 - 2015
2014 - 2019
2009 - 2010
Resume Writing Tips
The following tips are based on what we've learned from helping over 100,000 job seekers create a resume with our resume builder.
Recruiters will be most interested in your most recent work experience, so you should use a reverse chronological resume format. Other sections, like education, skills, and languages should be added after your work experience section.
You should choose a high quality resume template that makes it easy to read your resume. Look for proper margins and spacing, legible typography, and consistent styling. While your content is the most important part of your resume, recruiters will appreciate that it's easy to read. If a cover letter is required for the application, it should have similar formatting to your resume.
Once you've chosen a professional resume template and format, it's time to start writing your resume. One of the most important aspects of any manager's resume is to show that you have strong communication skills and a history of working well across teams.
Focus on your experience with direct reports, but also with other teams like product management, project management, quality assurance, senior management, design, and other cross-functional teams.
Here are some skills that are commonly included in engineering manager job postings on our remote job board.
- Service oriented architecture (SOA)
- Microsoft Azure
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Problem solving
- Engineering Manager (hands-on), Mobile/DesktopShipHero
- Systems ManagerCenter of Complex Interventions
- Engineering ManagerBeyond
- Engineering ManagerFeedback Loop
- Engineering ManagerRail Europe
- Project ManagerAmazee Labs AG
- Software Development Project ManagerTrendSpider LLC
- Senior Manager of Quality EngineeringReCharge Payments
- Software Development Manager, API IntegrationsReCharge Payments
- Engineering ManagerFYI